Monday, November 16, 2009

Cuzco

After returning from the trek I made the executive decision to stick around Cuzco for a while. I wanted to give my system a chance to properly acclimate to the altitude and recover from the trek. It has been a nice change from how I usually travel because it has given me to opportunity to get to know the city a little better, sleep in and just enjoy myself.

So how have I been spending my time? First off, I signed up for 10 hours of Spanish classes which has been a great refresher. I signed up with a comapany called Proyecto Peru and on top of offering very affordable one on one Spanish classes they offer a couple of free events each week. One day after class I stuck around for some traditional Peruvian drinks followed by Salsa lessions. I definately recommend them in that order!!! When I´m not in class I have been wondering around some of the different markets admiring all the different sights and smells (not all pleasant). They have an amazing assortment of potatos and corn that we don´t see in the USA. They have a black corn that they use to make a purplish, sweet drink called Chicha Morada. It is usually served with lunch and is very refreshing. That brings me to my next topic... what have I been eating. I´ve made it a mission to get away from the tourist areas and more times than not I´m the only gringo in a particular restaurant. The main meal of the day is lunch and most restaurants offer a menu del dia which consists of an appetizer, soup, main dish and desert/cold drink. I have been going back to this one place where I leave completely stuffed for $2. The food is usually pretty basic consisting of lots of vegetables and rice with a little chicken or beef.

Today is my last day in Cuzco and I couldn´t leave without sampling the local specialty, guinea pig. I have to say its pretty intimidating when they bring it out because its very apparent what you are about it eat. I went with a friend and his guinea pig still had a tooth in the mouth!!! The skin is very hard so you have to peel it apart to get to the meat. The meat itself was very salty and it took a fair amount of work to get to all of it. Not something I would eat on a regular basis but you´re only in Peru once!!!

Tonight I am heading to the Bolivian side of Lake Titikaka with a friend from the Inka trail. We are planning to check out a couple of the islands before heading to La Paz. My body is finally acclimated to the altitude of Cuzco however La Paz is even higher so keep your fingers crossed!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Matthew,
    I like reading your stories (while at work). I also like your style of traveling, you'll be a great resource for my future south american adventures. Buena suerte!

    -Mark

    ReplyDelete